Episode: #46 Aubrey Marcus about how owning the day helps you to own your life
Who: Today’s guest is Aubrey Marcus (@aubreymarcus) the founder and CEO of ONNIT. A nutritional supplement and holistic health provider based on his philosophy of Total Human Optimization. In this interview, we cover his awesome new book, his life philosophy, Onnit and how you can learn to Own the Day to Own your life.
Aubrey currently hosts the Aubrey Marcus Podcast, a motivational destination for conversations with the brightest minds in athletics, business, science, relationships and spirituality with over 10MM downloads on iTunes. He regularly provides commentary to outlets like Entrepreneur, Forbes, The Doctors and The Joe Rogan Experience. He has been featured on the cover of Men’s Health, is the author of the life-coaching course Go For Your Win, and his newest (and first!) book is Own The Day, Own Your Life from HarperCollins.
Check out the affiliates
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
If you are feeling pumped up to try Onnit after listening to this interview, here is a wee treat for you – Use the code ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ in the discount code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great supplements and fitness gear
For others, I am particularly loving the Tribes of Mentors book by Tim Ferriss, Ross Edgley’s awesome new book ‘The World’s Fittest Book’ and some super soft, super comfy and gain showing jeans from Barbell Apparell. Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ at the discount code section and get 10% off all orders!
For all of the free trials and special deals etc on these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did during the interview. Enjoy!
What we cover
- Who he is and why I love Onnit so much
- The importance of routines and how they brought about such a massive growth in his personal journey
- Why he wrote his book and chose the written word rather than a modern-day type of media? Why did he pick that particular title?
- Does he think there is a universal definition of masculinity and what makes a good man?
- Where does he think men are going wrong in modern day life?
- How to know when you are ready to start your own personal transformation? (*hint, the steps don’t cost anything!)
- How do we still building routines into our lives
- Can we batch process routines?
- The concept of Alive time vs Deadtime
- Does he wish he had included something in the book
- How do we build in accountability into our habits and new processes in life?
- How does he deal with his personal transformation vs his business transformation
- How has his running his own podcast changed him as a person and his views on life as well as guests that have been his favorite interviews
- How can we forgive past pain, demons, and shame?
- How do we know whether our change is really our true desires or coming from our ego?
- How can we become more vulnerable and be open with our friends, partners and ourselves?
- Onnit and creativity – how does he build new products and where the company is going
- How should we stop comparing ourselves and competing against one another?
- How can we raise strong, healthy kids?
- Why does Aubrey think someone should buy a copy of his book?
- How to know when we are improving and getting better? What are the signs to look out for?
- What would he like you listening to take from this interview?
- Who would he invite to his dream dinner party?
- Who are his role models?
- And so much more
Onnit’s products work!
Some things to reflect on
- Onnit puts forwards the tools to support Total Human Optimization for you for the long-term success
- “The basic unit of life is the day”, get one right and you can build an incredible life. “Each day is judged on it’s own accord”.
- “Make it about a lifestyle rather than a crash diet” – make it a workable habit for success
- Aubrey saw massive growth and transformation when he started to live his purpose rather than just live – what is your purpose and how can you start living towards it?
- “We are creatures of momentum”, once we start moving, it is hard to stop!
- “Masculinity isn’t tied to a gender”. We all have both energies inside ourselves and how we tackle the world. A man is “a force for order” a female is a “force of surrender … and creator”.
- A tribe is a reason to fight above ourself, we are designed to be part of a tribe and fight for one another
- “How do you know yourself unless you test yourself?”. You need pressure to learn about yourself. Lack of knowing creates insecurity that others will notice.
- You can always own your reaction and actions to what happens. You can own every aspect of your day and begin again when things go wrong.
- Stop wasting time, learn something, expand your mind and succeed. There is no excuse to waste time!
- We all have demons and dark impulses etc – it’s part of being human. Stop hating yourself. Be open and honest, really reflect on yourself to start going places.
- The motivation to change needs to come from a place of love rather than lust, fear or desire. Learn to read where it comes from and you’ll know if it’s your ego or your real desire.
- You will need to start the process of being open and vulnerable first, but it will be worth it.
- You are only responsible for your own life, effort and best, it’s all we are only really responsible for.
- Kids are much better mimickers than learners in the traditional sense.
- “It is possible to be truly happy and in your control”. You have way more than you will ever know … you will be shocked at how much potential you will have to enjoy this life.
Heres the first teaser video to get you started on Owning the day!
The links you will need to connect with the Guest
- Visit Onnit’s website here (my affiliate link)
- Visit Aubrey’s website here
- Subscribe to Aubrey’s podcast here
- Follow Aubrey on Twitter here
- Like Aubrey on Facebook here
- Follow Aubrey on Instagram here
- Subscribe to Aubrey on Youtube here
- Buy the book here by clicking the picture below
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast, please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps. Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
Products you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who offer some amazing products for you to check out.I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate link and will open to an external website):