Episode: #51 Brian Peterson on Grappling, training hacks and skill development
Who: Brian Peterson (@PetersonGrapplers) is the owner and head coach of Peterson Grapplers. On his awesome ‘Teach Me Grappling’ Youtube channel, he uploads an encylopedia of highly detailed and informative training videos that allow viewers to expedite their training development. In this interview, we cover a wide range of areas from his story, to grappling, to training hacks and so much more in between.
A quick word about the affiliates before we get to the interview …
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
Want to optimize your health? Then you need to try Onnit! Use the code ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ in the discount code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great supplements and fitness gear. You really need to check out Alpha Brain, a cognitive enhancer that makes your brain work more effectively. They are also offering a number of free trials of supplements you should take advantage of.
For others, I am particularly loving the ‘The Way of the Seal’ by Commander Mark Divine, I liked it so much I had to interview him, which will be out in a few weeks, Ross Edgley’s awesome new book ‘The World’s Fittest Book’ which provides awesome advice on training, health, nutrition and building successful lives
Get some super soft, super comfy and gain showing jeans from Barbell Apparell. Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY’ at the discount code section and get 10% off all orders there!
There are so many other great offers from My Protein, Under Armour, The Protein Works, Bulletproof Coffee, Me Undies, Gainz Box, Dollar Shave Club and so many more.
For all of the free trials and special deals etc on these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did during the interview. Enjoy!
What we cover
- Who he is and why you should check him out
- Where the idea and structure for the channel came from – how we have video games to be thankful for his channel
- How he got into martial arts and how has the UFC and rise of martial arts affected the types of customers he attracts to his club
- How would he define grappling to those who are new to the sport and how is grappling different to the UFC and street fights
- Should all men do a physical sport like grappling?
- How do men go wrong when they train grappling and combat sports
- How can you learn grappling the quickest and training hacks
- What should a good instructor teach you in terms of quality of teaching and method of teaching
- What should a person starting out focus on? Basics or advanced?
- Why does he think his coaching style is so successful compared to other coaches?
- What does he look for in a student to know they are ready to be promoted with a new tab/belt?
- What personality and mentality do his ideal students have?
- How did he find the transition from competitor to coach? What about the students who try to be ‘assistant coaches’ but aren’t official?
- How does he see his channel evolving in the future?
- The characteristics that good grapplers have
- What does he want people to take away from the interview?
- What does he consider an unusual fact about himself?
- How can you keep in touch with him?
- And so much more