Episode: #45 Mark Bell on intelligence, creativity and becoming the best version of yourself
Who: Mark Bell (@marksmellybell) is the founder of Super Training Gym, Power Magazine and the inventor of the Sling Shot. He is also a pro powerlifter who has totaled 2601 at 275. Mark’s mission is to empower those who seek to improve their lives through fitness. He states that regardless of age, gender, or your weight – the only true trait that matters is heart and determination. His products are created to help you achieve your goals inside and outside the gym. As he says, Strength is never a weakness and weakness is never a strength.
In this interview, we discuss his philosophy on life, intelligence, creativity, business advice, and how you can become the best version of yourself. I have been a big fan of Mark for years and it was superb to have him on as a guest. We cover a lot of non-training topics in this one and it will blow you away as Mark is a very deep guy with a lot of advice gems.
Check out the affiliates!
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
I am particularly loving the Tribes of Mentors book by Tim Ferriss, Ross Edgley’s awesome new book ‘The World’s Fittest Book’ and Onnit are just going from strength to strength with Alpha Brain and some new awesome supplements. For some free trials and speacial deals etc on these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did during the interview. Enjoy!
But there is an even better deal:
What we cover
- Who he is and why he is so well known
- His upbringing – was he always destined for weight-lifting and what made him awe-struck as a child
- What was the awakening that changed his life
- What he considers a good man to have and who his idol is
- What helped him find his own personal awakenings for transformations and how you can do the same
- What habits does he think men should be doing daily to better their lives
- Where does his creativity come from
- How has doing a podcast affected him and how he views training, masculinity, the world etc and how his podcast style changed as he has
- Finding a better outlook on life
- How he transitions from competitor to coach to boss and what he enjoys about each role
- How he coaches athletes and why he finds success compared to other coaches
- The importance of facuets and water – which ones do you have open
- How he empowers and inspires others by teaching people how to live first then how to lift
- How to select the best gym for you and the worst things you can do that stop you from becoming a better lifter
- How Mark helps others and how you should approach this for the best success – the value of trust to understand
- What he would like men to take from this interview
- How you can keep in touch with Mark and his projects and how you can train at the Super Training gym
- And so much more
Some things to reflect on
- His mission is to make the world a better place to lift and to feel the same way about fitness as him – helping the user find their own version of getting stronger
- “Dream harder than you work”
- Don’t give up on yourself, self-doubt is OK, giving up is not!
- You have to be forward thinking and thinking big, you need to ‘put the cart before the horse’. You need to be creative and planning ahead, you may need to drag the cart yourself for the first while trying to build the idea but eventually, it will take off and others will help pull the cart too
- An awakening can be done via personal development, it doesn’t need to be a massive event, it can be brought about by education
- What you do now, can help mold and better your life in the future, start now to change your life for the better, regardless of the starting point and how small it is
- “We become our very own thoughts” – what we think about we become, ensure your thoughts aim to better you, rather than destroy yourself
- “We all have self-talk… following through on our self-talk is important”. It’s easy to think it but harder to do it. Do it and you’ll be amazed where it will take you.
- Some of life’s worst moments can be a learning experience, and allow you to understand and help others – whatever you are doing, just be mindful of what is happening, be wise and honest with yourself and the situation
- You are the average of the five people you mainly hang around with, what they do, you will tend to act similar, pick wisely! Mark has built a strong inner circle of friends that help make him a better man
- You want to progressively overload your life, to take on more work, to push yourself more and evolve and improve yourself. Have some time when you shut off the phone and the outside world and work on yourself.
- Physical activity can allow you to enter a heightened state of understanding and mental capacity
- “Inspire … don’t destruct”. “Be mindful … be paying attention”. “Help other people”.
- Always consider “how is this helping me and how is this hurting me” when you are doing anything to see if the action is worth it or will it hurt you. Then choose wisely! This may transform your life!
The links you will need to connect with the Guest
- Visit Mark’s website here
- Visit Mark’s awesome, videos of strength and life on Youtube here
- Like Mark on Facebook here
- Follow Mark on Twitter here
- Follow Mark on Instagram here
- Subscribe to the Power Project on iTunes here
- Find out more about the Slingshot etc here – UK
- Find out more about the Slingshot etc here – USA
- Buy Marks book on ‘The War on Carbs’ on Kindle here – UK Amazon link
Why you need a Slingshot right now:
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast, please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps. Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
A product you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who offer some amazing products for you to check out.I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate link and will open to an external website):