Episode: #37 Tanner Guzy on how to build the Appearance of Power
Who: Today’s guest is the author of The Appearance of Power, Tanner Guzy (@tannerguzy). Tanner has spent a decade in the world of menswear and even longer writing. He believes the most important question a person can ask is “why” and discovered that this question was rarely addressed in the world of men’s clothing – so he set out to find the answer. From working with custom suiting to studying philosophy, to speaking to audiences of thousands, Tanner has unlocked the keys, principles, and philosophies of why men care about the way they look. Tanner is based out of Salt Lake City, where he lives with his wife and three children. He has traveled the world learning and teaching about masculinity and appearance and is always expanding his understanding of the way the world works.
Affiliate highlight: Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info. I am particularly loving ‘Tribe of Mentors’, a fascinating book by Tim Ferriss, the cognitive enhancers ‘Alpha Brain’ from Onnit, and the Natural by the awesome RSD Maxx. Another gem is the super comfy, thin yet warm under t-shirts by Under Armour, which I wear almost daily I love them so much. For these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
What we cover
- Who he is
- The reason he began to look into how appearance affects our lives and opinions of ourselves
- What he thinks defines masculinity and what makes a good man
- The common problems that he sees with men in today’s society
- Why we should care about our style – how it affects us, others and how the world sees and interacts with us
- How we use fashion as the first means of establishing an identity for ourselves
- The Masculine Archetypes and what they mean to us, can you change and evolve into another or not
- Good examples of each of the Archetypes in the entertainment world – Why Daniel Craig makes such a great James Bond
- How you should start your own style transformation to build the Appearance of Power
- How you should analyse a purchase – how to work out if it will give you the appearance you want and work towards your goals
- Should you look towards tailoring your clothes?
- Staple/essentials items for your closet? Do they really exist?
- Are there any general fashion no-no’s for all men if our style is unique?
- How we should wear accessories in our fashion
- How should men avoid falling into the mass marketing we are subjected to and actually find items that we want to portray
- How do you do this when you have to wear a uniform to work, have a religious dress or fit into a social tribe of some kind
- The next steps you should take to start your transformation into having an Appearance of Power
- The worst example of fashion mistakes … and what he’ll admit to doing himself – mistakes and what they teach us
- What he thinks holds the majority of men back from creating their own Appearance of Power
- How do we build a tribe of people if we are wearing clothes and accessories that contradict the messages of the others
- How do we help our children build their own Appearance of Power
- How do we know when we are on the right path and building the identity we really want
- How will he deal with the Fast Break Questions?
- What does he want guys listening to take from this interview
- And so much more