Episode: #39 Jack Donovan on redefining the way we see masculinity today
Who: Today’s guest is Jack Donovan (starttheworld), who is Mr Masculinity.
From Jack’s about page: “Jack Donovan is the author of the The Way of Men ? a straightforward, politically incorrect theory of masculinity that became an underground hit around the world … Donovan has been blogging, writing and speaking about masculinity and tribalism since for over a decade … He lives in the Pacific Northwest, where he leads a chapter of the infamous Wolves of Vinland ? an esoteric tribe of Germanic pagans.” I don’t know if I need to say anything more as an intro!
In this interview we discuss masculinity, why it is not a dirty word and why we should undertake our own journey to become better men and more masculine men.
Affiliate highlight: Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
I am particularly loving the Gainz Box and it’s awesome fitness goodies straight to your door, another is OMG Yes, which is a video series on how to truly pleasure a woman and my Barbell Apparel jeans that feel so comfy but show off your muscle gains in all the right places. For these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
What we cover
- Who he is and why he is well known
- What happended during his childhood that made him look in masculinity
- How is masculinity being portrayed in today’s society
- What is masculinity and who are the great role models of masculine energy?
- Where he thinks modern day men are going wrong in society and the factors that affect thier masculinity
- How can we recreate the old rituals that boys undertook to become men like the old civilisations do but do it in our easy lives
- Why do you need a tribe to truly become masculine and a man and how it needs to be set up/contain to succeed.
- Can we use sports etc to replace these missing rituals and tribes in our lives?
- Are the characteristics of what makes a good man the same across the world?
- What he thinks about the style of masculinity that is shipped by today’s media?
- Can you grade masculinity? Are we masculine or not or shades of masculine more or less than the next man?
- What challenges could you set yourself to become a more masculine man and develop yourself?
- Why is there not a push for men to become more masculine in today’s society?Why do some men hate on those who try to improve in their lives?
- How should today’s men adapt to the differing roles of women and equality in the modern world
- Can you ever become too mascline? At what point does becoming more masculine cause problems?
- How does the role of the father play in how masculine a man is and how good a man he will be? How should we raise the next generation of men to help raise good men?
- How does he deal with those who dislike the masculinity message he is bringing out?
- How should those listening overcome jealousy, hate etc when they try to become a more masculine man and a better man?
- How can you tell if you are becoming a better man? What is the yard stick or criteria we can use to show improvements?
- The message those listening should take from this interview?
- Are there any unusual things about Jack that will blow your mind?
- How you can keep in touch with him?
- And so much more
Some things to reflect on
- There are a lot of positives about striving to be a better man
- Masculinity is being softened in today’s media and “made into a joke“
- “When you are marketing things, you want to be overly inclusive” – the way masculinity is portrayed in today’s society is more about marketing than ideology
- Masculinity is what men percieve to each other as masculine, are the things we need from each other to survive through our evolutionary history – The parameters of masculinity never change, they are part of who we are in throughout time
- Find out about Jack Lemmon here – the author who’s books helped him on his journey
- What you believe, comes true – it is a self-fufilling prophecy
- The failing answer in life is waiting for approval for what you are wanting to do
- Your tribe needs to share the same values as yourself and be more than just about one thing like sports – there has to be a higher purpose involved in the tribe.
- “The people who control the media are not average people“
- “Men who don’t know what masculinity is are more subject to be manipulated in terms of what tnhey need to be masculine“
- See the interview I did with Tanner Guzy here
- It is a good thing to have competition with other men, to take controlled risks and realise you won’t break, that you won’t die – physical things are very important
- People will talk down to you when you try to improve yourself as it brings other people’s failures into sharper perspective and they don’t want you to succeed – getting better should be about you and your own change
- “You don’t need to be a dick to be a masculine man“, you can be just as smart, as creative, as talented, as loving etc as you always are and get better and yet become more masculine
- You can’t expect affirmation from those who aren’t on the same mission as you – you need to focus out the hate and focus instead on those who get the message you are providing and on the same journey as you
- If you believe in something, you should measure your actions against and ensure you are meeting your beliefs, that you are being consistent in your beliefs
Connect with the Guest
- Visit his website here
- Like Jack on Instagram here
- Like Jack on Facebook here
- Subscribe to Jack on Youtube here
- Buy Jacks’ great book ‘The Way of Men’ here (affiliate link)
- View the ‘If’ poem he mentions here by Rudyard Kipling
- His speech at the 21 Convention website – you will need to sign up for their free trial to view it
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast, please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps.
Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
A product you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who offer some amazing products for you to check out.
I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate link and will open to an external website):