- Who he is and why you should check him out
- Where the idea and structure for the channel came from – how we have video games to be thankful for his channel
- How he got into martial arts and how has the UFC and rise of martial arts affected the types of customers he attracts to his club
- How would he define grappling to those who are new to the sport and how is grappling different to the UFC and street fights
- Should all men do a physical sport like grappling?
- How do men go wrong when they train grappling and combat sports
- How can you learn grappling the quickest and training hacks
- What should a good instructor teach you in terms of quality of teaching and method of teaching
- What should a person starting out focus on? Basics or advanced?
- Why does he think his coaching style is so successful compared to other coaches?
- What does he look for in a student to know they are ready to be promoted with a new tab/belt?
- What personality and mentality do his ideal students have?
- How did he find the transition from competitor to coach? What about the students who try to be ‘assistant coaches’ but aren’t official?
- How does he see his channel evolving in the future?
- The characteristics that good grapplers have
- What does he want people to take away from the interview?
- What does he consider an unusual fact about himself?
- How can you keep in touch with him?
- And so much more
Episode: #51 Brian Peterson on Grappling, training hacks and skill development
Who: Brian Peterson (@PetersonGrapplers) is the owner and head coach of Peterson Grapplers. On his awesome ‘Teach Me Grappling’ Youtube channel, he uploads an encylopedia of highly detailed and informative training videos that allow viewers to expedite their training development. In this interview, we cover a wide range of areas from his story, to grappling, to training hacks and so much more in between.
A quick word about the affiliates before we get to the interview …
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
Want to optimize your health? Then you need to try Onnit! Use the code ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ in the discount code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great supplements and fitness gear. You really need to check out Alpha Brain, a cognitive enhancer that makes your brain work more effectively. They are also offering a number of free trials of supplements you should take advantage of.
For others, I am particularly loving the ‘The Way of the Seal’ by Commander Mark Divine, I liked it so much I had to interview him, which will be out in a few weeks, Ross Edgley’s awesome new book ‘The World’s Fittest Book’ which provides awesome advice on training, health, nutrition and building successful lives
Get some super soft, super comfy and gain showing jeans from Barbell Apparell. Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY’ at the discount code section and get 10% off all orders there!
There are so many other great offers from My Protein, Under Armour, The Protein Works, Bulletproof Coffee, Me Undies, Gainz Box, Dollar Shave Club and so many more.
For all of the free trials and special deals etc on these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did during the interview. Enjoy!
What we cover
Some things to reflect on
- Consistency is key in the formation of successful habits
- Grappling is fighting without striking someone – movies and TV shows have greatly misconstrued how a real fight works
- Lack of discipline can lead to fights – if every man trained, we wouldn’t have as many fights as we currently do
- Learning to relax is the key to success when learning to grapple
- The majority of men are not knowledgeable about BJJ and self-defense, those who are will have the advantage. Sadly, not all coaches have the same level of leadership and training, you need to seek out those who can truly teach the essence of grappling, BJJ etc.
- The basics are great in learning a martial art but no advancement of techniques will prevent you evolving and progressing. Both basic and advanced are key to becoming great.
- Performance and being an individual are more important than knowledge in a student – it is about making grappling and BJJ a version of your style
- Less talking, more learning is the best approach as a new student
- Confidence in your ability is almost and some say more important than technique
- Age and history does not make something right, newer developments can be better than the ‘proper way’ of doing a technique
The links you will need to connect with the Guest
- The Peterson Grappling website is here
- Subscribe to Teach Me Grappling Channel here
- Donate to Brian’s channel here on Patreon
- Follow Brian on Instagram here
- Like Peterson Grappling on Facebook here
- Fall Brawl Tournament details are here – On November 3rd ’18
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast, please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps. Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
Products you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who offer some amazing products for you to check out. I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate link and will open to an external website):
|Click the image to load||What the affiliate is|
To get the Kindle that I love, buy it here
Blinkist summaries the important points of books for quick learning
Learn to become a natural with women by learning how to become the man you were always meant to be!
Use the code ‘nextlevelguy’ in the discount code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great supplements and fitness gear