Who: Gordon Ramsay
From: Kitchen Nightmares (UK and USA)
Type: Celebrity Chef
What’s the clips about?
These clips are a great example of someone who has genuine passion for what they love to do and hold others to the same high standards that he holds for himself. The clips show how Ramsay is congruent in his thoughts and actions and how they align to his beliefs.
What should I watch out for?
- Ramsay talks to everyone exactly as he feels. Notice how he doesn’t change how he speaks to people just because of their age, or gender. Watch the video of the two blondes trying to interrupt him, he just tells them exactly as he’s thinking. Those two girls would be used to guys (beta) putting them on a pedestal because of their looks but not Ramsay, he doesn’t suck up to no one.
- In the ‘Manager Fired’ video, notice how Martin (the beta male) talks compared to Gordon. The beta male talks quickly and in a high pitched voice, he doesn’t seem to have conviction in what he is saying. Martin seems unable to look Ramsay in the eye. An Alpha Male stands up for what he believes in, he is not afraid to back down from a challenge – Ramsay stands up for what he is saying when Martin interrupts his meeting with the owner.
- He isn’t afraid of people, he ignores social ‘rules’. Ramsay does as he needs to, to get what he wants. He invades people’s personal space, he doesn’t sugarcoat the negatives, he locks in eye contact and is more than happy to raise his voice to get his point across. In a crowded restaurant, you can hear Ramsay’s voice. He talks as if he is talking through you rather than to you.
- Ramsay won’t back down from anyone. He is massively passionate about his cooking and business, and will defend his beliefs and techniques to everyone. Watch how when he shouts down the customer who complained about the beef, that the guy backs away from him and tries to seem tough as he is walking away, only to go back to his seat.
- Ramsay leads from the front. He is willing to take risks to meet his goals for the restaurants he visits. He motivates people, challenging them when needed to get success. He is always thinking outside the box.
OK, how can I be like this guy?
- Have belief in yourself. Stop believing that other people are better than you. Accept that you are perfec the way you are – you do not need someone else’s validation to decide if you are good or bad. Your opinion is worthy, just the same as everyone else’s.
- Be congruent with what you do. Practice aligning your thoughts with how you act. In other words, if you think something needs to be sid or done then do it. Don’t sugar coat it or try to appease the other person. Stand up for what you believe in. Ensure that you remain 100% congruent, in other words do what needs to be done.
- Don’t be afraid to go against the grain. beta males try to please everyone whereas a Alpha Male is willing to stand alone rather than say something that he doesn’t believe in.
- Challenge people. If someone says something or does something that you do not believe in – challenge them. No One has the right to treat you like a piece of shit. No One. Do not let someone else’s opinion of you gauge how you feel about yourself. Speak your mind.
- Be willing to lead from the front. Just because other people are remaining quiet on a subject, it doesn’t mean that you have too. An Alpha Male will go outside his comfort zone and is willing to take risks to obtain his goals.
A lot of people see Ramsay as a bully and not a Alpha Male but I think he stays on the Alpha Male side of the line. He’s passionate about his work, says as he thinks, takes control, leads people and so on. In my book, he’s an Alpha Male. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.
And the best video ever: